Thursday, December 11, 2008

IMDB Movie Catalog with Adobe AIR

Hey guys,

I recently needed a program to lookup the IMDB ratings of the movies in my Movies folder. My movies are each in its own folder. It goes like this:

Casablanca
Click
Cloverfield
Conspiracy Theory
Die Hard 1
Die Hard 3
Eastern Promises
.
.
.

and so on. So regarding the number of movies it is a very difficult thing to find a movie to watch which has a good IMDB rating. So I decided to write a program which iterates through all the folder names in my Movies folder and looks them up in IMDB.

[UPDATE] - I recently updated the program to be able to read the filenames like: "Saving.Private.Ryan.720p.HDTV.Premiere.DTS.x264-ESiR.mkv". Even if the movie folders and files are in the same directory it should work fine.

the code can be seen here.

Also I am attaching a windows setup file for non-developers out there. You can contact me for its bugs. I will try to update it time to time.

Windows Setup File



Adobe Air File Format



have fun.

Note: Double click on items opens the IMDB page of that movie!


4 comments:

Silmaril said...

Çok iyi bir program, tam ihtiyacım olan şeydi.

Unknown said...

I just found your app, I would however like to add the year of the film to both the generic and detail info. Do you have any suggestion on how to perform this, I am unfamiliar with this language and its associated tools. Do you have suggestions for a beginner?

Baran Baygan said...

Hi there, the app created Flex Builder 3. Which is basically an actionscript editor and outputs flash files. You can also build windows applications (or MacOS) with Flex Builder. They are called AIR apps. You can start looking for sources how to program Actionscript and AIR programs. That would be a good start. The app is pretty easy and also I would be happy if you would keep developing it.

giganto said...

This is a really great app. i would like to ask you if could make an app which would get the release dates of specified tv series and movies.

thanx